What equipment do I need to use Variable N-Rate Application (VRA) Maps?

For fertilizing with Variable N-Rate Application (VRA) Maps, you need the below equipment. If you don't have compatible equipment, you can simply use the free Atfarm mobile app as a terminal on your mobile device.



GPS receiver


The current position of your tractor in the field must be known in order to adjust the application rate according to the application map.





Your terminal must meet the following requirements:


  • The terminal can process Variable Rate Application (VRA) Maps.

  • The terminal can process ISO-XML files or Shapefiles (SHP).
  • If necessary, update the terminal to avoid file errors. For some terminals, the ability to process application maps was introduced in a later software version.
  • Some terminals require a licence in the software to use application maps.
  • Some terminals require you to adjust the settings before you can use application maps.


Open the attached Atfarm-VRA-Ready-Terminals file for an overview of Variable Rate Application (VRA) ready terminals with the required licence key, settings, and file format.



Compatibility test


Test the compatibility of your terminal as follows:


  1. Download one of the attached test files to test if your terminal can process Atfarm's Variable N-Rate Application (VRA) Maps.
  2. Extract the downloaded ZIP folder.
    • Most terminals require unzipped files. A few terminals require zipped files, for example Valtra. In this case, please skip this step.
    • Windows: Right-click the ZIP folder and select Extract All, then click Browse to select the location where you want to extract the folder, and then click Extract.
    • Mac: Double-click the ZIP folder. The newly extracted folder will appear in the same folder.
  3. Store the extracted files from the unzipped folder on an empty USB drive.
  4. Connect the USB drive to your terminal.
  5. Load the files from the USB drive.
  6. The application map zones should appear on the terminal screen and the application rate should be set.



Fertilizer spreader


Your spreader must be able to receive rate control commands from the terminal. Most spreaders with section control can process Variable N-Rate Application (VRA) Maps. Variable N-Rate Application (VRA) Maps can be used on most new spreaders from brands such as John Deere, Trimble, Kverneland, Amazone, Sulky, Bogballe, Bredal and Rauch.



Need assistance?

Contact our support team and we'll be happy to help you. You can also get in contact with your technician, local dealer or manufacturer to ensure compatibility of your equipment.


Was this article helpful?

6 out of 10 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.